With Omicron and the rising number of COVID cases, it is important for you to take care of yourself and your family members. This blog is for everyone and it covers what food and diet one should have, what type of liquids one should intake, medications, monitoring, etc.
Food is a very essential part of our life and what we feed in, our body becomes accordingly.
- Do not under-eat. An under-nourished body will not recover fast.
- Eat at least 0.8gm/kg body weight of protein. This will promote cell regeneration of all types.
- Nourish your body with healthy fats so you can heal faster owing to their anti-inflammatory properties.
- Consuming comfort food is okay. Avoid excess sugar. Increased blood glucose levels can increase the chances
of bacterial superinfection.
- If you’re experiencing reduced appetite, eat 5 small-medium meals a day. Else, stick to the 3 key meals.
- Eat anti-oxidant-rich fruits like Apple, Pomegranate, Muskmelon, Oranges, Papaya, Kiwi, or even the occasional Mango.
- Keeping your body hydrated is very important. If you have a high fever, dehydration due to the weather will slow down
- Ensure you consume 2.5-4.5 litres of water depending on your body size.
- Avoid drinking fruit juices, always opt for the whole fruit instead.
- Homemade Kadha of “Ginger + Turmeric + Cinnamon + Clove + Saunf + Lemon” to be up to two times a day. Mix these with warm water. Kadha is not magic, treat it as a supplement.
- One glass of Coconut Water a day is recommended to supplement your body with natural electrolytes.
- Don’t consume caffeine-rich drinks as they will dehydrate you quickly.
- In the first week, try simple Pranayam, Anulom-Vilom for 10 minutes, 2-3 times a day. Focus on your breathing.
- Avoid Cardio and any Strength Training, do not stress your body.
- Walk around the room you are in for 8-10 minutes twice a day.
- Lie down on your stomach from time to time to breathe better and increase Oxygen Saturation.
- Remember, weight gain or loss is normal. Care for your body first.
- Take a Paracetamol (Crocin/Dolo) not more than 4 times a day for fever above 100 degrees.
- Betadine gargles 4-5 times a day with warm water for a sore throat will help.
- Steam inhalation twice a day.
- You can have some Vitamin C, B complex, and Zinc supplements once a day but there are no proven immediate benefits for this step.
- Tab Montair LC for dry cough or rashes (1 tab per day or consult your doctor for this)
- In case of a Wet Cough, Bro-Zedex syrup (1-2 teaspoon thrice a day please consult your doctor for this)
- Some people experience loose motions, have Electral ORS as many times as needed and Imodium 2mg in very severe cases.
- Consult your doctor before taking any of the suggested medication, especially anti-virals, they will be able to decide what works best for you based on your Medical History.
- If your Oxygen saturation is consistently above 95 no need to worry. Just monitor yourself thrice a day.
- At this stage, you should be able to walk for 6 minutes. When you do this, if your levels drop below 3 points, consult a doctor.
- If your Oxygen saturation drops below 93, contact a doctor immediately.
- Check your temperature and pulse at least 3 times a day. In case of temperature consistently above 102 and pulse above 130 please contact a doctor.
- Check your Respiratory rate, count the number of times you take a breath normally in a minute (normal is 15-18). In case you see this reaching 24 and above, it could be a sign of moderate lung involvement. Contact a doctor immediately.
- Maintain your isolation and quarantine for 14-17 days, until you get a proven negative on RT PCR Test.
- Meditate at least once a day. YouTube videos, apps like Calm, Headspace, and a lot of these can help.
- Speak to your friends and family. Call your friends. Interact with your loved ones.
- Stop obsessing over your speedy recovery. Let your body heal at its own pace, you got this.
- Basically, do what makes you happy.
In the end, take care, stay at home, wear double masks, take necessary precautions, and get your vaccination done. Remember, we all are in this together, and let’s fight this virus.